Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Non Verbal Communication In Action / Inaction

This past week I decided to try out some non verbal communication is a real world setting. I am after all an engineer, and we are big on practical applications (no offence to all you scientists out there).

So here's the setting. I had a tutorial in one faculty, and another tutorial following that in another faculty which was located across campus. The tutor in the first class was running a little late which surely meant that I would be late for my next lesson.

Now for my objectives. I wanted to see exactly how much non verbal communication it was going to take to let the tutor know that I was going to be late and I wanted to leave.

Assumptions: Once the tutor had picked up on enough non verbal communication, he/she would give up on his/her lesson plan and wrap up quickly.

And so i proceeded with the experiment. I did it all I think. I believed at some point I was actually non verbally screaming at the tutor. I kept looking at my watch. I rapped my fingers on the table. Occasionally I'd just stare at the door. I even started packing my stuff.

My results? Well lets just say that either my assumption isn't valid, or I wasn't thorough enough with my experimental procedures because the tutor carried on till the end of the hour, which meant I had to make a mad dash to the bus stop and squeeze into Bus A-something.

Maybe I should try repeat this experiment in an ES2007S class. That should be interesting. Or maybe I already did....

Haha I'll never tell.

btw the class that I was rushing to; well it was canceled.

4 comments:

  1. Lol. Secretly tell me if you DID.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...we had a nice satisfying lunch instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAS i cant belive you actually tried that out, cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute!

    I need to be kicked in the ass to stop on time, Faizal. Subtlety in non-verbals doesn't always work.

    Thanks for the extra post!

    ReplyDelete